- Age / Gender:
- 29, Unspecified
- Toronto, Canada
- All Stats >
My name is Thomas Lam (not actual name). Composer, sound designer, multi-instrumentalist and occasional artist. I'm a webdev by trade. I'm an advocate of free culture, anarchism and copyleft. All my work of art/music are copyleft, free for any use. :)
- Community Stats
Level 12 Musician
Ranked as Civilian
Contact Info / Websites
Ever wondering which percussion libraries you might want to get, but realizing you can't cos you don't have the right budget for fancy shit, or you got a shitty one instead? I thought of writing guides like this for fellow musicians in a while coz I couldn't set my priority straight (lol), now I got my chance.
I have experience with all of these libraries, and used them in many of my tracks with various different styles. also many of these are selected from other libs to fit the most budget while being most versatile libraries.
A - Drum Kit
Toontrack EZDrummer ($179) (currently 30-35% off)
- Professional and one of the most versatile library I have ever used
- Grooves built-in for MIDI
- Various drum selections and match up
- Work for many types of genre and style
- Not very suitable for cinematic and big trailer use
- Run on mill kit for starter
- Fairly rich options
- Very limited selections
- Great perc builds for epic and action styles
- Large number of loops with multi and single loop
- Extremely versatile FX and EQ options
- Mutator and arp maker to create unique sound
- Might be a hassle on low RAM machine
- Massive perc with rich sounds for big screen and hit game
- Huge number of loops
- Construction kits for drum loop
- Mutator and arp.
- Well crafted FX percs for epic music.
- Badly overused in all action media, from Star Trek to COD.
- Bit pricey compare to other lib.
B - Orchestra Percs
- Best orchestra percussion library for budget up to this day.
- Both tuned and untuned percussions.
- Different mics with Close, Stage and Far patches.
- Recently redesigned and upgraded.
- Fairly large libraries
- Not many FX option
- Gigantic collection of tuned and untuned perc.
- Rich sounds with deep sampled round robins.
- Multiple mics
- For such amazing lib, it is also Kontakt Player compatible.
- Large in size.
- Fairly heavy resource usage.
C - Cinematic Percs
Cinesamples Drums of War Bundle ($199) [FULL KONTAKT ONLY]
- Great sounds and selections.
- Compact and small.
- Only for full Kontakt
- Very limited round robins and FX.
EWQL Stormdrum 3 ($299)
- Massive selection of percussion and hit
- Great sound design with many FX option
- Very shitty PLAY engine
- Ultra heavy resource usage
- somewhat limited RR when compared to other modern lib.
ProjectSam True Strike 2 ($259) [KONTAKT PLAYER]
- Versatile instrument selections
- Similar to True Strike 1
- Multiple mics position
- Limited FX option.
NI Action Strikes ($299) [KONTAKT PLAYER]
- Massive percussions for cinematic and action music
- Smart tech for rhythms to avoid sample streching
- Huge range of percs
- Hybrid of hits and loops.
- Heavy resource usage.
- Fairly confusing UI
Evolution Series World Percussion Core ($479) (currently $287.40) [KONTAKT PLAYER]
- Massive range of instruments
- Huge range of RR
- 4 mic positions
- Many FX option
- Massive resource usage.
Cinesamples CinePerc ($799) [KONTAKT PLAYER]
- Massive range of instruments
- Well sampled sounds
- Multiple mic positions
- Very suitable of all range of style
- Super duper massive in size (100 GB)
- Heavy resource usage
- Very pricey
Hope these help. :)
Recent Game Medals
Total Medals Earned: 277 (From 46 different games.)